DBG messages in release and some bugs(?)

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Sun Dec 8 19:33:02 2002

On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 07:21:50PM +0100, 5468696A6D656E wrote:

> Note that if i do "gpg --batch --keyserver wwwkeys.nl.pgp.net
> --search-keys test@" search on a pks keyserver, gpg will
> incorrectly return me:
>
> gpg: searching for "test@" from HKP server wwwkeys.nl.pgp.net
> gpg: key "test@" not found on keyserver
>
> while it should say something like:
> Number of keys in reply (3100) exceeded maximum allowed (300) Try a more specific query.

This is not possible with the current pksd keyserver.  It does not
return error messages in a machine-usable way.

> And in batch mode, is it possible to instead of printing:
> "gpg: Sorry, we are in batchmode - can't get input", and exiting,
> to actually print the whole listing? (and let the caller program
> decide which to pick)

Yes, 1.3.x does this.

> Especially because choosing a number in a listing doesn't seem to work:
> on a openkeyserver (search.keyserver.com) with a win32 client:
> (bsd clients seems to do this fine)

Openkeyserver is broken and won't work reliably with GnuPG.  I once
spent a while trying to work around their bugs by adding special code
to GnuPG, but finally realized that this was the wrong direction to go
in.  I've reported the bug to them a few times.  I'm not even sure
that Openkeyserver is still maintained since I heard nothing back.

David