Permissions Warning

Michael Nahrath gnupg-users@nahrath.de
Sun Dec 8 22:37:02 2002

Dave Barton <bmcs@myrealbox.com> schrieb am 2002-12-08 22:19 Uhr:

> GPG is working well for me, but I always get the following warning:
>
> gpg: WARNING: unsafe permissions on configuration file
> "/home/dave/.gnupg/options"
> gpg: WARNING: unsafe enclosing directory permissions on configuration file
>
> Obviously, my permissions are not set exclusively to root

They should not. They should be set exclusively to _you_.

> and I am definitely not going to run gpg as root.

You're right!

> Could someone please explain:
>
> a) How do I switch this warning off ?

Correct the permissions for the file and the directory:

chmod 600 /home/dave/.gnupg/options
chmod 700 /home/dave/.gnupg/

> b) Why does gpg expect files in a user's home directory to be for the
> exclusive use of root ?

It expects them to for the exclusive use of theit owner.

They should be like this (if you are "user"):

[user@host]~$ ls -al .gnupg/
drwx------  12 user     staff         408 Dec  8 22:25 ./
[...]
-rw-------   1 user     staff        4776 Dec  8 20:40 options

Exclusive to root would mean (you don't want this):

[user@host]~$ ls -al .gnupg/
d---------  12 user     staff         408 Dec  8 22:25 ./
[...]
----------   1 user     staff        4776 Dec  8 20:40 options