trust

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Tue Dec 10 15:18:02 2002

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 12:05:49PM +0100, Michael Nahrath wrote:

> Imagine you set ownertrust for key 0x5B0358A2 <wk@gnupg.org> now.
>
> Currently that won't change anything.
>
> But imagine that next week you had an occation to meet with Josh Huber
> (just as an example) and sign his key 0x6B21489A.
>
> Suddenly WK's key will be valid in your keyring and all keys it has signed
> will inherit calculated trust. All because Josh has signed Werner.

This is all true, but there is an easier way to handle it.  Just use
"gpg --update-trustdb".  GnuPG will build all possible trust paths,
and prompt you for any key that needs to have ownertrust set.  In the
example above, as soon as you signed Josh Huber's key,
--update-trustdb would see that and ask you to assign ownertrust to
Werner's key.

David