Despite "no-include-revoked" revoked still included

Dick Gevers Dick Gevers <dvgevers@xs4all.nl>
Tue Dec 10 20:32:05 2002

Hi David and others,

On Tuesday, 10 December 2002 at 12:53 h, David Shaw wrote about
"Re: Despite "no-include-revoked" revoked still included":

>This involves keeping the actual data around and just hiding it
from
>the user which GnuPG already does (in some places anyway).  That's
>why a revoked user ID doesn't show up in --list-keys.  The same
idea
>could be used to hide revoked subkeys, etc.

Sorry, no, that's not what I meant. I just want to cut the
'deadwood' of revoked and expired userID's and signatures from my
current pubring and upon either --refresh-keys I wouldn't (again)
receive revoked and expired data for the current keys in my ring
and in case of --recv-keys I would get only current data, exclusive

of revoked & expired IDs and signatures.

Perhaps an example makes my intention clearer:
say I have Key 0x12345678 John Doe <JDoe@domain.com>
this Key includes User ID:
[Revoked] JohnnyboyD <Johnny@nowhere.com>
and signature 0xABCDEFGH expired 2000-01-01.

Since the revoked UserID and the expired signature are useless for
me, I would want to delete it from my pubring. However, upon
- --refresh-keys it reappears, so my deletion has no effect. But my

wished-for-option, if set, would keep the Key 0x12345678 on my
keyring but not import the revoked UserID nor the expired
signature. I don't see the need to keep these data anywhere. I am
just saying to the import-job "please filter the deadwood and do
not import".

Similarly, I would want a --recv-keys command (with a similar
option) to filter out the revoked and expired data from the asked-
for-key and import only the current data.

Presently I note that there is a very large number of keys around
with such dead data clinging to it, so with these options I would
get a cleaner pubring but still have all the currently valid data
available.

Again, I can imagine it might a big job to realize and from my side

it's merely wishful thinking. But I appreciate your consideration.

Best regards,
=Dick Gevers=