Most appropriate / usefuls / synchronizing keyservers ?

Toxik - Fabian Rodriguez Fabian.Rodriguez@Toxik.com
Wed Dec 18 15:16:02 2002

Hello,

I recently updated my keys, which, combined with some signature
problems (related to charsets), made me aware of the relative
"isolation" of some keyservers.

There is a nice graphic from RedIris.es describing (all?) keyservers
relationships at:
http://www.rediris.es/keyserver/keyserver.png

Legend (thanks to [francisco.monserrat@rediris.es]):
Gray: No information on server type
Blue: Servers that have forwarded information to RedIris, pkcd
Red: LDAP servers at NAI/PGP Inc.

I'd like to know what would be the minimal list of keyservers I would
have to upload a public key to so it is available to the most people
?

I've also compiled a summary list with my personal reasons to update
at each keyserver, mostly www since I only keep one or two in WinPT's
keyserver file. Should I update to any other(s) ? What general
principles should I keep in mind ?

 - http://keyserver.kjsl.com:11371/ - If you want your key to be
considered into the Keyanalyze reports, measuring Mean Shortest
Distance (MSD) to another key - not anabsolute measure of trust but
an interesting one
 - hell.on.earth.li:11371 - If you want your key to be visible in
Pathfinder searches (see http://the.earth.li/~noodles/pathfind.html
)
 - http://www.biglumber.com - To make yourself available for
keysigning, Pathfinder and KeyAnalyze reports available too
 - http://pgp.mit.edu/ - Still a site/server linked from many older
PGP resources
 - ldap://keyserver.pgp.com - The only place I know accepts keys with
Photo IDs, but not synchronized with others (?)

Jason Harris also has very interesting information on Photo IDs
support and other keyserver information, at:
http://skylane.kjsl.com/~jharris/keyserver.html

Many thanks for any comments or suggestions on this.

Regards,

Fabi=E1n Rodr=EDguez - Toxik Technologies, Inc.
www.toxik.com - (514) 528-6945 @221