GnuPG has trouble decrypting multi-key messages?

Peter Constantinidis peter@constantinidis.ca
Tue Feb 12 06:05:01 2002

Using GnuPG 1.0.6 for Windows.

I made a key and gave it to my registrar for security purposes. Then I =
did
something at the registrar and they auto-emailed me back using a PGP =
6.5.2
encrypted message that they made using my GnuPG key.

It came back encrypted with 3 keys. My public key, and 2 of theirs, one =
was
a  ELG-E key, and the other was an RSA key. (I guess they were making =
sure
of interoperability.)

I was not able to decrypt it at all. Eventually I twigged on that I =
needed
to find an IDEA.dll for GnuPG before it would work. So I found it, and I
can decrypt and view the message now. Before it would just say invalid.=20

These are the headers it shows before the message now, with idea.dll
installed:

gpg: NOTE: cipher algorithm 1 not found in preferences
gpg: encrypted with ELG-E key, ID 18DB62EA
gpg: encrypted with RSA key, ID A1E12995
gpg: encrypted with 2048-bit ELG-E key, ID C482C81A, created 2002-02-12
      "Peter Constantinidis <peter@constantinidis.ca>"

And these are the headers it shows after the message:

gpg: old style (PGP 2.x) signature
gpg: Signature made 02/11/02 20:48:04  using DSA key ID 1AD79751

My question is, if I receive a message from someone who encrypted it with
two formats of key, shouldn't GnuPG be smart enough to recognize that one
of the keys is an ELG-E key and thus doesn't require me to find and =
install
an IDEA.dll ? Or did I misunderstand something somewhere?

Best,
Peter.