trust values and trusted keys

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Thu Feb 21 18:06:01 2002

On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 08:23:55AM -0800, Michael Graff wrote:

>  From my ancient PGP memory, I remember there are two things that
> control how one trusts a key.
>
> One, the validity of the key, as defined by enough marginal or
> complete or ultimate signatures on a given key.  Two, how much you
> personally trust that person not to do something foolish.
>
> With PGP 2.x, once a key became valid, it would prompt for trust
> settings.  This was a real bother, and I'm glad GPG does not do this.
> However, it would be nice to have a way to:
>
>         (1)  list keys with their validity and trust settings

gpg --with-colons --list-keys

The second field and the ninth field are the ones you want.  The
second field contains the validity, and the ninth field contains the
trust setting.  See doc/DETAILS from the GnuPG distribution for all
the possible values there.

>         (2)  scan the list of these for valid keys with unassigned
>              trust settings, so one can assign them a trust easily, if
>              desired.

gpg --update-trustdb

Note this is a new 1.0.7 feature (not released yet), and is not
available in 1.0.6.

David