let the flaming begin or Factoring Breakthrough?

Douglas Calvert dfc@anize.org
Tue Feb 26 20:36:01 2002

--=-Gs7di28xorZubOFSDAir

Well there is a story on slashdot:
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=3D02/02/26/179206&mode=3Dthread&tid=3D93
An anonymous reader sent in: "In this post  to the Cryptography Mailing
List, someone who knows more about math than I do claimed "effectively
all PGP RSA keys shorter than 2k bits are insecure, and the 2kbit keys
are not nearly as secure as we thought they were." Apparently Dan
Bernstein of qmail fame figured out how to factor integers faster on the
same cost hardware. Should we be revoking our keys and creating larger
ones? Is this "the biggest news in crypto in the last decade," as the
original poster claims, or only ginger-scale big?"=20

Comments?=20

--=20
| Douglas Calvert |         <dfc@anize.org>  http://anize.org         |
| Encrypted email | They that can give up liberty to obtain a little  |
|  is encouraged  |temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety|
|   http://pgp.dtype.org:11371/pks/lookup?op=3Dget&search=3D0x13300731    |
+-------| EF9C 7E3C 0327 EAAF 1E20  5299 0805 7531 1330 0731 |--------+

--=-Gs7di28xorZubOFSDAir

--=-Gs7di28xorZubOFSDAir--