gpg can't decrypt with PGP 7 secret key

Doug Ellsley doug@sunval.com
Mon Jan 14 00:02:01 2002

I have installed GPG on my Mac OS X system and then imported a PGP 7
public and secret key pair into my gpgp keyrings. Now I can encrypt to
that key but when I try to decrypt with it I get the error unknown
cipher algorithm and no secret key.
as you can see below,  I do in fact have the secret key on my keyring,
but it won't decrypt. Any suggestions???
Thanks, please cc me as I am not on the list.

[localhost:~] doug% gpg --decrypt /Users/doug/Desktop/passwords.rtf
gpg: protection algorithm 1 is not supported
gpg: encrypted with 1024-bit ELG-E key, ID CAD373FE, created 1997-08-11
       "Doug Ellsley <doug@sunval.com>"
gpg: public key decryption failed: unknown cipher algorithm
gpg: decryption failed: secret key not available
[localhost:~] doug% gpg --list-secret-keys
/Users/doug/.gnupg/secring.gpg
sec  1024D/A2F98CB3 1997-08-11 Doug Ellsley <doug@sunval.com>
ssb  1024g/CAD373FE 1997-08-11

[localhost:~] doug%