using --status-fd

Timo Schulz twoaday@freakmail.de
Mon Jan 21 17:45:02 2002

On Mon Jan 21 2002; 17:07, Sven-S. Porst wrote:

> [dhcp97:~] ssp% gpg --status-fd=2 --command-fd=0 --encrypt -r foo --armor
[snip]

> So in this case I have to write the message after GOT_IT which of course
> doesn't appear necessarily as the key might be trusted in which case I
> would have to write out the message after GOOD_PASSPHRASE. It seems to me

No, you can write the message whenever you want. Like I said, GPG blocks
whenever it awaits data from the 'user'.

> particular I haven't yet managed to use anything but stdin as my --
> command-fd (probably due to my lack of knowledge on these things) in
> which case I could perhaps write my message to stdin right away and deal
> with the --command-fd input separately.

I'm not sure what programming language you use, but with the pipe()
call in C you can use the returned FD for the command handler (or any
other handler).

> I had a look at it a while ago and tried it out. Somehow it needed about
> 10 seconds just to give me information on the keys in my moderately small

When you use it with the new CVS version of GPG, it should run much
faster because of the new key signature cache.

    Timo