email on keyservers

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Thu Jan 24 20:42:02 2002

On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 07:17:35PM +0100, Davide Cavallari wrote:
> Maybe a  stupid question..  I have  two email  addresses, one  for general
> purpose messages (mailing lists, etc.) and  the other for my friends. Now,
> can I safetly upload a key with my "private" email address on a keyserver?
> Or can  this information be  used by someone  that wants to  send spamming
> messages?

When you send a key to a keyserver it, along with any email addresses
on it, become public.

That said, as far as I know no spammer has yet tried to harvest the
keyserver database for addresses, probably because harvesting Usenet
and the web is a lot easier.  The keyservers really don't make it
particularly easy to get addresses in bulk.

David