multiple user ID

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Fri Jan 25 20:05:01 2002

On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 01:49:37PM -0500, Ken Wahl wrote:
> Davide Cavallari on 25/01/2002 at 18:53 opined thusly:
>
> > What is the advantage of using several user ID for the same key?
>
> So a public key can be associated with more than one email address or
> pseudonym.

There is another interesting benefit, which is each user ID has its
own set of preferences.  For example, let's say you have a home and
work address on the key.  The home user ID can have a different
preferred symmetric cipher or hash than the work user - which can be
useful if you are using IDEA.  Since IDEA is free for personal but not
work use, your home user ID can accept IDEA-encrypted messages but
your work one does not have to.

(Or you could just avoid the whole issue and leave IDEA out.  I
couldn't think of a better example offhand :) )

David