signing keys

Mark Brown broonie@sirena.org.uk
Mon Jan 28 18:17:02 2002

--hl1kWnBARzJiTscN

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 05:12:24PM +0100, Davide Cavallari wrote:

> So are  all these  information usefull  at all? if  I send  an email  to a
> person I don't  know, how can he be more  confident about the authenticity
> of my public key?

The perceived benefit in terms of authentication0 comes from
consistency.  If someone has been announcing for years that they use a
given key and suddenly you get a mail purporting to be from them but not
using that key then the idea is that that will set off alarm bells.
It's not at all strong but it's something.

There's also the idea that doing things like this spreads awareness of
GPG. =20

--=20

--hl1kWnBARzJiTscN

--hl1kWnBARzJiTscN--