signing keys

markus_kampkoetter markus_kampkoetter@t-online.de
Wed Jan 30 17:50:01 2002

Ingo Klöcker schrieb:

> Markus, I guess your message should have gone to the GnuPG mailing list.

hi ingo, excuse me, your right! i just answered to the mail and did not take
care of the address (another mailist i am on works correctly this way).

> On Tuesday 29 January 2002 12:39, markus_kampkoetter wrote:

> > > Even better would be if you personally gave her a printout of your
> > > key's fingerprint. Only if she knows your voice very well and if a
> > > personal exchange of fingerprints is not possible you should use
> > > the phone-call-method.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Ingo
> >
> > hi to all! (and sorry i do not use gpg at the moment)
> > in the above case you should not use any wireless phone.
>
> Why? No confidential information it exchanged over the phone. The only
> piece of information which is exchanged is the key's fingerprint (which
> is not secret but public because it's the fingerprint of the public
> key).

i think i got the point: the conspiracy is not about the information itself but
the consistence between id and the person who is behind it (thats why an id is
an id is an id, i should have guessed that on my own ;-)

> > to be true, this discussion seemes to be very theoretically (but
> > still interesting). i am new to the theme but have there been
> > `exploits´ in a way that somebody created `evil´ keys?
>
> Yes. There were already some keys created by unknowns with the identity
> of other people. IIRC there is a fake key with Phil Zimmermann's name
> on it.
>
> > if a strong/powerfull/rich
> > person/state/organization would really like to know what _you_ are
> > doing on your computer they easily can scan your monitor.
>
> ...and put a key logger in your keyboard. BTW, AFAIK it's not possible
> to 'scan' a LCD display because they emit far too low radiation (if at
> all).

thats true, and lcd displays are less harmfull to your eyes (but still too
expensive at the moment)

thanx
markus (c:

> Regards,