wiping files

Brian M. Carlson karlsson@hal-pc.org
Tue Jul 2 22:13:03 2002

--CUfgB8w4ZwR/yMy5

On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 08:53:09AM -0700, Bob Holtzman wrote:
> Does gpg include a wiping feature for temp files, free space,etc? If not,=
=20
> what do people use?

gpg does not include such a feature. It follows the motto of other UN*X
utilites: "Do one thing, do it well."

I use Debian GNU/Linux sid. So I use wipe (apt-get install wipe). You
can also try shred, which should already be on your machine (it's part
of the GNU fileutils). But you'll probably want to use it with -u, or
you'll end up with a large file of wiped data. I like wipe because it
works recursively (hint hint, nudge nudge, wink wink) and because it
follows the traditional command line flags (-f, force; -s, silent, -r,
recursive).

These utilities will work on any UN*X machine with a local filesystem.
In addition, shred requires that the fs not have a log/journal. See the
man page for details.

FAQ maintainer: please add this question to the FAQ. It is frequently
asked, and is a question. Thank you.

--=20
Brian M. Carlson <karlsson@hal-pc.org> <http://decoy.wox.org/~bmc> 0x560553=
E7
<LauraDax> !seen god
<Tabi-> LauraDax, I don't remember seeing "god"

--CUfgB8w4ZwR/yMy5

--CUfgB8w4ZwR/yMy5--