DNS keyserver (was Re: gnupg-1.0.7: keyserver subdir?)

Michael Graff explorer@flame.org
Wed Jul 10 02:15:02 2002

> Yes, one UDP round-trip is wasted.  OTOH the server can guess that
> CERT RR's should be fetched with TCP, or it can use EDNS.0 to increase
> the 512 byte limit (EDNS.0 is required with IPv6 and DNSSEC anyway, if
> I recall correctly).

Cool.  A key server DDOS attack is in your future.  :)

That said, it's a good idea, and I considered writing one years ago,
but before EDNS0 there was no real use...

Remember that the max payload (and max rdata size) is still 64k -
headers, so you'll have to handle broken up data even over TCP.

- --Michael