Subpackets

Brian M. Carlson karlsson@hal-pc.org
Thu Jul 18 23:53:02 2002

--AAiVQQES42Kk67ff

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 05:22:14PM -0400, David Shaw wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 02:35:58AM +0000, Brian M. Carlson wrote:
>=20
> > I noticed that the Issuer KeyID is not a hashed subpacket. Is there
> > a particular reason this is so? Is there a reason to not hash any
> > subpacket?
>=20
> I imagine it is because there is no real benefit to protecting it (no
> harm either, of course).

Well, it would be detected if it were changed, wouldn't it? I see that
as a benefit.
=20
> The end result of an attacker changing the keyid in the unhashed area
> and the end result of an attacker changing the keyid in the hashed
> area is the same.

Well, if you mean that it was changed, yes.

I also remember seeing something somewhere in the code (I don't remember
where, and I couldn't find it) that showed which subpackets were
protected, and which weren't. Perhaps you could point me to the right
file or so?

--=20
Brian M. Carlson <karlsson@hal-pc.org> <http://decoy.wox.org/~bmc> 0x560553=
E7