1.07 RSA support questions

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Tue Jun 4 01:48:01 2002

On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 01:53:39PM -0500, Larry Ellis wrote:

> Personally, I want to use the algorithm which causes me the least
> interoperability problems AND which is safe.  That probably means 3DES for
> me.  It's quite a bit slower than other ciphers, but I really don't care
> about that;  others may.  But I can't use 3DES for legacy PGP 2 recipients;
> it doesn't support it.

This right here is one of the great things about OpenPGP: cipher
choices are handled for you automatically.  Each user specifies what
ciphers they can handle in whatever order they like (like AES?  List
it first!) and the program figures out the best choice give the
constraints.

You can add cipher preferences to an PGP2-style key, but PGP2 can't
handle it.  You can only use a key with preferences in more recent
programs.

David