Cannot encrypt/decrypt zip-Files correctly (Andreas)

David T-G davidtg-gnupg@justpickone.org
Wed Jun 5 04:49:02 2002

--gMqNd2jlyJQcupG/

Andreas --

=2E..and then akorthaus@web.de said...
%=20
% Hallo!
%=20
% YOU ARE GREAT!!!

We do try :-)

%=20
% Thank you very much, now it works, I just had to add --homedir, that was
% all. CHMOD was 700, but it was not important. That=B4s how it works:
%=20
% system ("gzip -c /www/path/to/file.htm | gpg --homedir
% /www/path/to/.gnupg -o /www/path/to/out.gpg -e --default-recipient
% andreas");

Good deal!

%=20
% Thanks a lot!

HTH

%=20
% Now I try to get the whole Script running. But what did you think about
% compression? Why not gzip?

It's pointless and wasteful to try to compress compressed data, and yet
gzip compresses the data its given before applying any encryption.

If you have a compressed file on disk, like your locally-stored large
mysqldump output files, then just pass "-z 0" to gpg with the other
options to tell it to not try any compression.  If, on the other hand,
you're running a pipeline as you say above (and that's not just a trivial
example), then leave the gzip step out and just encrypt, and gpg will
compress as well as encrypt.

%=20
% -- Andreas

Man, I'm never gettin' outta here...  Bye!!

HAND

:-D
--=20
(play) davidtg@justpickone.org * than to live up to them. -- fortune cookie