Cannot encrypt/decrypt zip-Files correctly (Andreas)

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Wed Jun 5 04:56:01 2002

On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 04:22:02PM -0500, David T-G wrote:
> While I can think of few reasons for compressing before encrypting as a
> part of the process (maybe there isn't much disk space on the receiving
> end, though), having a file already compressed makes sense in lots of
> ways.  Opinions?

If you encrypt a compressed file, GnuPG (1.0.7) will try to
automatically disable compression so as not to compress twice.  By
default, if you encrypt a uncompressed file, GnuPG will automatically
compress it while encrypting.  You are pretty safe going either way
with the compression :)

David