problems with trusting in key --recipient or --default-recipient

Leigh S. Jones kr6x@kr6x.com
Wed Jun 5 14:09:03 2002

GnuPG will give you those kinds of warnings because it wants
you to be aware that the mechanisms built into it are not sure
that the key actually belongs to the intended recipient.  Webs
of trust are important to the assurance that your encrypted
messages will not be decrypted by someone that you did
not intend to see the message.  Without this safeguard it
would be possible for someone to simply add a key with the
recipients name on it to your keyring and you might never
know it happened.

When you are certain that the public key belongs to a given
individual, as is the case when he hand delivers the key
to you, then you should sign the key after adding it to your
keyring.  Perhaps it will be helpful if you return the signed
key to this person.

Otherwise, it is possible to "edit" the key to add trust to
the key.  Unless it is your own key don't make it ultimately
trusted, choose a lower level of trust.  If you trust the key
marginally then gpg will not give you these warnings.