Web of trust

David Picón Álvarez eleuteri@myrealbox.com
Wed Jun 5 14:19:01 2002

--1Bd_y1fZ.5XiMkIG0nnxfhpcRy8C.PaU

Hi,

I've read a lot about the web of trust, and about how signatures must be
given with extreme caution and so on. However, I find that it is very
difficult, if not impossible, to build a sizable web of trust that is at the
same time useful and safe. I've had to sign myself several keys because I
didn't manage to find any possible route, and I've been using the resource
of signing locally, in order not to pollute the public arena with unverified
signatures.

My question is: is there a better way to do this? Are there chances that
webs of trust will increase in the future? I just have the feeling that
cryptography is sort of falling out of use, and I don't see much of a
possibility that the web of trust will be ever thick enough.

As well, I've been thinking whether a software solution could improve
things. Something like sending an e-mail to the owner of a key with the
request for a task that a computer can't do, and if the request is
validated, then the key would acquire a given signature. Something like a
low-level security Certification Agent. What do you think about this?

BTW, sorry if this is off-topic, but I don't know of anywhere else where to
discuss these issues.

--David.