Standard weakness: surreptitious forwarding

David Picón Álvarez eleuteri@myrealbox.com
Thu Jun 6 20:52:02 2002

--3331z1fZ.5XiMkIG0nnxfhpcRy8C.PaU

Hello,

I've read the paper and unless I'm mistaken, what you write here is not
correct, and if it were it would be much more serious.

> 1. surreptitious forwarding means:
> a recipient B may change a received message from sender A so that he can
> forward it to another recipient C leting C suppose he is the intended
> recipient.

Insofar as I know: a recipient B may only encrypt a message signed by A and
then send it to C in order to make C believe that the Message came from A to
C, but can't change content which is protected by digital signature.

> 2. Short explanation for the weakness of sign than encrypt:
> 1st think of sign as the signing of a letter/paper written with a pen.

Actually, signing is more like the seal in a packet, if you accept my
metaphore. If something is signed, any change of it's interior will be
noticed. The packet is transparent, but messing about with content is
impossible.

> The encrypting is the same as putting the letter in an envelope. B may
> change the envelope a send/forward the letter to C confuseing him/her.

That, which is true in theory, has little chances of being so in practice.
Most messages contain clear indications of their intended recipient, just
due to the way they're written, the context, quoting an earlier message,
etc.

> 3. Short explanation for the weakness of encrypt than sign:
> B receives a letter with a signed envelope. He opens the envelope and
> puts another letter in it with a different message.

That's not correct. B cannot under any circumstances change the message
because the message is signed. Of course, B may write a message of its own,
but not with A's signature on it. Unless I'm mistaken.

--David.