RE: Passphrase and swapfile (David Picón Álvarez)

Steve Butler sbutler@fchn.com
Fri Jun 7 21:44:03 2002

Sorry, the same article talked about the magnetic flux left floating on RAM.
It's not as reliable and seems to be based on the length of time the value
remained in memory before shut down.

In the mid '70s there were rumors that the US government considered hard
drives on which classified information had been stored to continue to be
classified devices even after:
1.  Randomly written longitudinally.
2.  Randomly written transversely.
3.  Burned.
4.  Beaten to pulp.
5.  Buried in a dump for classified materials (highly secured).

They considered the data still vulnerable after taking all 5 steps.  Looks
like they were right.

On the other hand, this group has always said that when you give up physical
security of your computer you should consider everything to be compromised.

--Steve
Wondering when they'll be able to read the brain waves and pick off the last
10 layers of thought.