verify signatures failed

Michael Anckaert michael@belgacom.net
Tue Jun 11 10:54:01 2002

--bg08WKrSYDhXBjb5

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 12:13:01AM -0600, Joseph wrote:
> I've generated my key in GPG 1.0.6 and I just upgraded to ver. 1.0.7
>=20
> When I extract my public key and try to verify it I get an error:
>=20
> gpg: armor header: Version: GnuPG v1.0.7 (GNU/Linux)
> gpg: verify signatures failed: unexpected data
>=20
> Does anybody have similar problem?
>=20
> Though, if I sign a email and try to verify it it works OK

There is no problem. If you extract a public key, it isn't a signature
that you can verify. A signature is a hash that is created using your
key. gpg uses your key and the data from the email to create a hash,
gpg can then verify this hash (the signature) and determine whether or
not the signature is valid (made with a good key).=20

--=20
LINUX: The Choice of a GNU Generation...
Michael Anckaert
manckaert@belgacom.net
xantor@linux.be
xantor@xantor.tk
http://www.xantor.tk
Jabber: xantor@jabber.org

-->If you use envelopes, why not use encryption?

--bg08WKrSYDhXBjb5

--bg08WKrSYDhXBjb5--