Recovery of PCSECURE files and bogus GnuPG algorithms

Leigh S. Jones kr6x@kr6x.com
Wed Jun 19 07:17:02 2002

"Your friend" encrypted a message to Phil Zimmerman, who has
been known to use PGP from time to time.  It makes little sense
for him to encrypt messages to PRZ using PRZ's keys but also
using ciphers that PRZ cannot be expected to decrypt.  This is
not about PRZ being on his "high horse".  "Your friend" was
playing stupid pranks sending messages using twofish and tiger.
Judging by the content of PRZ's responses your friend was
badgering him for help that he was not in a position to give.  If
"your friend" wants to correspond with PRZ then he should
consider taking the lines:

cipher-algo twofish
digest-algo tiger192

out of his options file completely and replacing them with:

openpgp

or

pgp6.

Having been given the advice once, I'd also suggest your
friend heed PRZ's recommendations regarding PCSECURE,
and the unrecovered data.  If the data is valuable, hire a
consultant.