keyservers

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Wed Jun 19 14:31:01 2002

On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 05:48:58PM +1000, David Clarke wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, David Shaw wrote:
> > I'm actually hoping that the more visible problem of photo id support
> > drives a fix for both.
> >

> I'm wondering what is going to happen when key servers do support keys
> with a photo id and multiple subkeys.  Are the mangled keys just going
> to get sync'd into these servers or are people going to have to upload
> their keys onto the servers.

That's a very good question.  The answer is... nobody knows exactly.

The nature of the keyserver net is that anyone who wants to run one
can, and there is no central authority to dictate policy.  That's a
good thing, but it makes this sort of program more complicated.

The keyserver operators are usually reasonable people, who are usually
aware of the problem.  I sent out some code that can detect and repair
the mangled keys so I expect that the new keyservers will do something
similar and repair keys as they arrive.

David