Encryption and signing of a data file

Leigh S. Jones kr6x@kr6x.com
Thu Jun 20 15:27:02 2002

> Could anybody tell me whether I can do this kind of simultaneously
voting
> and singing with GnuPG?

This can be implemented, but the encryption and signing by the
voter will be two distinct steps from the viewpoint of gpg.

> Could I alternatively do this kind of voting by using mails instead
of a
> data file? Here I had the same problems.

There's nothing preventing you from implementing this.  In fact, if
you
are capable of programming the mechanisms for automating the
actions of the trustees, then a fully automated voting system complete
with return notification of success or failure of the vote process is
quite possible.

I should think that the major problem with your scheme is that there
might be some resistance on the part of the voters to fully implement
the scheme.  Part of this would be due to the complexities of voting,
encrypting, signing, and sending, and part of this would be due to
the complexities of installing gpg itself.  How many different
computer
platforms are your voters using?