GPG private key still does not work with PGP

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Sun May 5 03:25:02 2002

On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 01:56:56AM +0200, Robert Allerstorfer wrote:

> In short: If you generate a DSA and ElGamal keypair and export the
> public and private key in ASCII, the private key cannot be exported by
> PGP 6.5.8 (the public can, though). The PGP error message is "The
> keyring file is corrupt".
>
> Here is the log of the key creation:

[...]

> [roal@ns roal]$ ./gpg --export-secret-keys -a -o sec.asc
> gpg: Warning: using insecure memory!
> gpg: please see http://www.gnupg.org/faq.html for more information
> gpg: Warning: unsafe permissions on file "/home/roal/.gnupg/pubring.gpg"

GnuPG uses a different (more secure) method to store the secret key
data.  If you want to use it in PGP, you must do these two steps:

Change the key to the older, less secure format:

  gpg --simple-sk-checksum --edit (yourkeyid)

  Use "passwd" to change the password.  You can change it to anything,
  even right back to the current password if you like.

Export the secret key:

  gpg --no-comment --export-secret-keys -a -o sec.asc

Done.

David