Making it simple

Sahar_Witt@capgroup.com Sahar_Witt@capgroup.com
Wed May 8 02:28:02 2002

This problem is not about PGP/GnuPG compatibility but it does address
issues migrating between PGP & GnuPG. As I see, more & more users in
addition to organizations are looking into replacing PGP with GnuPG. This
issue addresses that. I was able to successfully (Thanks to Steve Butler's
helpful input) export a public/private key pair (after removing the
passphrase) from PGP then importing that into GnuPG. Only then was I able
to decrypt files encrypted with my old PGP key.

                    Len Sassaman
                    <rabbi@quickie.ne       To:     Sahar Witt/AFS/CAPITAL@CG
                    t>                      cc:     <gnupg-users@gnupg.org>
                    Sent by:                Subject:     RE: Making it simple
                    gnupg-users-admin
                    @gnupg.org

                    05/07/2002 03:32
                    PM

On Tue, 7 May 2002 Sahar_Witt@capgroup.com wrote:

> We were going with PGP 6.5.8 , a public/private key ring was generated
and
> the public key sent to the customer. It was then decided that we use
GnuPG
> 1.0.7 since it's free, I've generated a new public/private gpg key ring
but
> ofcourse I cannot decrypt files sent to me by that customer who encrypted
> them using our old PGP key.
> The preference is to avoid requesting re-importing keys of the customer
if
> possible or is it not ?
> In that case , even adding those parameters to my options file won't do
my
> any good. I can only import public keys using the gpg -import file.asc
> command but when I attempt to decrypt those files i get the following
error
> message :
>
> decryption failed: secret key not available

Let me make sure I understand:

1. You generated a keypair "A" using PGP 6.5.8, and sent the public key
A(pub) to your customer.

2. You generated a new keypair "B" using GnuPG.

3. Customer is encrypting messages to key A(pub), but you only have
"B(sec)" on your private key ring.

[...]

How do you expect to be able to decrypt those messages if you don't have
the secret key? Why did you generate new keys?

You need to either import your first key pair in GnuPG, including the
private key, or you need to send your customer the new public key
"B(pub)".

(This problem isn't about PGP/GnuPG compatibility at all).