Win32 internals

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Wed May 8 08:55:02 2002

On Wed, 8 May 2002 00:46:55 -0400, Steve Kinney said:

> special issues in porting GnuPG to Windows?  I am especially
> interested in the RNG (how it collects entropy) and the problem

This is described in Peter Gutmann's paper on CSPRNG (there is a link
somewhere at www.gnupg.org).  Actually he was kind enough to donate
his code from Cryptlib by dual-licensing it under the GPL.

> of allocating memory that is not swapped out to disk.

Well, there is no such protection.  The only way to do it is by
writing a device driver which seems to be the only way to lock memory
from swapping.  Given all the vulnerabilities of Windows I don't think
that this is a high priority task.  soundcode.com has such a device
driver but it is not free software so I have not added support for it
into GnuPG. If someone wants to write a free driver I will defintely
add the required support into GnuPG.

   Werner