Installing GPG on W2K

Leigh S. Jones, KR6X kr6x@kr6x.com
Fri May 10 00:07:02 2002

> I didn't list the key first.  I simply create keypairs using gen-key.
Will
> that cause any problem?  Or should I always do a list key first.  I am
> setting this up on my machine for test only, eventually I have to install
it
> on the computer of the girl who has to do the encryption and decryption.
So
> any advice is appreciated.

This works fine.  No need to create the database before creating the
first keys.  Gnupg will take care of it.

> I am just not sure if
> that is all to install gpg: there is no update to registry, no change to
> path, and no information on how to install, kind of like the old DOS app.

Right.  Of course, you might have preferred to place gpg into the path.
If you use WinPT then you have to tell WinPT where gpg has been
placed ("C:\Gnupg" in your case), and if you don't use "C:\Gnupg" as
your database location, then you have to make other changes.  I'd
suggest placing a copy of gpg.exe into your C:\Winnt directory.  That
directory is always in the path.  If you do, make sure that the two files
"C:\Gnupg\gpg.exe" and "C:\Winnt\gpg.exe" are always the same --
update them at the same time.  Otherwise, add "C:\Gnupg" to the
path.  Then it will execute no matter what directory your "cmd" prompt
is in at the time.  It's OK to have multiple copies of gpg.exe on your
system if you don't try to use them at the same.

> Anywhere I can download information about  customizing the
> options?

The options file contained in the gpg 1.0.6 distribution might help.
Using 1.0.6 you will probably want some options in there.  With 1.0.7
the default options are a little bit more like what you'd want than the
1.0.6 defaults.

Second to that, you should know that the information in the options
file is described when you type "gpg --help".

There are two things that might go on the command line:

commands
options

Commands generally will need to be the last thing on the gpg
command line, such as:

gpg -d encrypted_file.asc

The command is -d, same as --decrypt, with a filename parameter.

Options are generally placed in front of the command:

gpg --armor --encrypt unsecured_file.txt > secured_file.asc

or

gpg -o secured_file.asc --armor --encrypt unsecured_file.txt

Placing options into the options file means you don't have to
type them into the command line.  If you need something
different from what the contents of your options file would
dictate, then you override the options by placing new
options on the command line:

options file:

quiet

(note: you don't put the "--" in front of the options in the
options file)

command line:

gpg --verbose -d encrypted_file.asc

Usually it's convenient to put things like local-user <name>
in your options file.