using keys with multiple users

Leigh S. Jones, KR6X kr6x@kr6x.com
Sat May 11 00:57:01 2002

You have two choices:

1 - issue separate keys for each employee who will
sign/encrypt with under the role of support@MyCompany.com
and/or hostmaster@MyCompany.com, in which case
each may keep secrets from the other but there could
be confusion on the part of your correspondents as to
which key to use
2 - issue copies of a single key to each employee, in
which case the key name would be something like:
"MyCompany Corporate Support Key <support@MyCompany.com>"
in which case there would be little confusion on the
part of your correspondents but questionable legal
value of a signature

A single key could have two or more user
identifications associated with it, for instance one
key could play the role of both support@MyCompany.com
and hostmaster@MyCompany.com

My personal choice is a hybrid:

Issue each employee two keys: one personal key
to be used privately for encryption and signing
unambiguously plus one copy of each "role" key
that appropriately matches their job title.
This, however, requires separate keyrings -- to
allow each employee to select his/her own
passwords -- so keyring file ownership must be
arbitrated in the operating system.  This probably
means no Windows 95/98/ME for "role" keyholders.