help needed!!!

Leigh S. Jones kr6x@kr6x.com
Mon May 13 07:39:02 2002

There are a few easy answers and some more
difficult ones that are available.

First, if you are using a Linux system, you can try
GnuPG Agent.  It retains your password through
multiple operations, such as decryptions or
document signings.

Second, if you are using a Windows system,
you can try WinPT.  WinPT is an add-on
program for gpg on Windows.  There may be
some practical limit to the number of files that can
be simultaneously decrypted.  Probably several,
but perhaps a dozen at a time would be a risk.

Third, PGP can retain a password for a
predefined length of time.

If none of these will do the job for you, then
I've written a program in Borland C that
illustrates how to pass the password along
from a program or batch file to gpg.  The
program is in the gpg-user archives, but if
you can't find it there, write me back and I'll
dig it up and send you a copy of the source
code.

A word of caution: all of these methods have
security problems associated with them.  These
methods should only be used on a single user
system.  And only on a system that you have
physical control over.  You'll risk
compromising your password otherwise.