What level of encryption does GPG use????

Leigh S. Jones, KR6X kr6x@kr6x.com
Wed May 15 00:21:01 2002

Classic Meet-in-the-Middle only requires a mere 512 petabytes...

  -- Keith

Thanks, Keith.  I haven't done the Math.

Here's what was in the news about petabytes a year and
a half ago:

The Petabyte Is Coming
February 27, 2001 (1:00 p.m. EST)
By Kim Renay Anderson, TechWeb News

The petabyte is making its way into the storage industry.
What's a petabyte? It's a measure of memory or storage capacity equal to
1,024 terabytes.

That sounds like a lot-but not for long. The demand for storage is growing
so fast that if it takes a company one year to use one terabyte of storage
today, it will take only 30 days to use the same capacity in 2002, according
to a Yankee Group study. In 2003, it will take one day to use one terabyte
of storage; and in 2004, just one tenth of a day, the study said.

Hoping to cash in on the storage explosion and create a niche market for
itself, Cereva Networks has created a yet to be named petabyte-class disk
array.

Cereva said it has not priced the product yet, but will begin a test trial
in June or July.

David Domeshek, a spokesman for Cereva, Marlborough, Mass., said the disk
array is aimed at helping ISPs and other service providers easily and
quickly scale their storage capacity.

"For example, if Victoria's Secret is hosting an online show, they need the
ability to accommodate a huge volume of visitors and data transfer
requirements," said Domeshek.

Despite the current small market, at least 200 companies will need a
petabyte hard drive two to three years from now, said Steve Duplessie,
analyst at the Enterprise Storage Group, Milford, Mass.

"This will always be a niche product because it is a very specialized
product on the very high-end market," he said. "As traditional brick and
mortar companies like Ford go online, they will really explode the capacity
for storage online."

Spending on disk storage should reach $53.3 billion by 2004, nearly twice
the amount spent in 1999, according to an IDC study. But based on the
average of all studies predicting the revenue for disk storage for 2001, it
will be a $70 billion market this year, said Ed Broderick, analyst at the
Robert Francis Group, Hopewell Junction, N.Y.

"The need for petabyte storage devices is three to five years away, but
already some companies' storage budget is out of control," said Broderick.
"A lot of Fortune 50 companies-if you added up all the storage in their data
center-they are over a petabyte already."

William Hurley, analyst at the Yankee Group predicts Cereva's petabyte hard
drive will initially be geared more to Internet and data centers and less
toward enterprise data centers. However, as storage equipment becomes more
"friendly"-able to interface with a variety of networks-enterprise data
centers will adopt it, he said.