Trusted key problem with GPG 1.0.1

LW yukiko@userdefined.net
Thu May 16 04:45:02 2002

First, thank you to those who helped me get started on my quest to
use GPG...

My website hoster shocked me a few days ago by letting me know that
they had installed GPG.  Then, to my disappointment, I learned it was
only v. 1.0.1.

Looking in the archives, I see that the trusted key problem has
occurred to some others, but I didn't see (or overlooked maybe?)
the solution.

I created a public and secret key on my home computer (using GPG
1.0.6 for Win32) and exported and uploaded the public key to the
remote server (running Redhat Linux).  There are no secret keys on
the remote server and I don't want any there.  I'm only encrypting.

Here is the public key (and it's self-signed):

pub  1024D/35FBF34C  created: 2002-05-14 expires: never      trust: f/q
sub  1024g/C17FB539  created: 2002-05-14 expires: never
(1)  GD LLC (gdo1) <info@somewhere.com>

I type: gpg --always-trust -e -r gdo1 sample

But "--always-trust" does not seem to be working as per the man
since I get this message (I edited it a little here):

Could not find a valid trust path to the key.  Let's see whether we
can assign some missing owner trust values.

No path leading to one of our keys found.

1024g/C17FB539 2002-05-14 "GD LLC (gdo1) <info@somewhere.com>"
             Fingerprint: blah blah blah

It is NOT certain that the key belongs to its owner.
If you *really* know what you are doing, you may answer
the next question with yes

Use this key anyway?

I need to avoid all warnings and error messages since the encryption
will ultimately be called from a Perl .cgi script.

Any ideas?  I tried "--trusted-key" but 1.0.1 doesn't seem to support
this option.

BTW, with a little testing on my home computer, I was able to
determine that "--trusted-key" and "--always-trust" DO work with
1.0.6 for Win32

TIA,
Laila