PRIVARIA: A GPG-Based, Firewall-Friendly Platform for Peer-to-Peer Networking

Ed Suominen ed@eepatents.com
Fri May 17 13:14:14 2002

I am now announcing a beta release of PRIVARIA, an encryption and
authentication platform I've developed for firewall-friendly,
peer-to-peer networking with my clients and colleagues. (There have been
many, many non-publicized alpha releases over the past several months.)
PRIVARIA builds on some excellent open-source tools, including GnuPG,
WinPT, and Zebedee. My goal was to make secure communications effective,
convenient, and intuitive, and I hope that this new open-source
software, the result of hundreds of hours of unpaid effort, helps to
achieve this goal.

If you would like to help out by testing this pre-release, please
install PRIVARIA (soon) on your Win9x/NT/2000/XP box and e-mail me with
the GPG public key you're using with PRIVARIA. I'll reply with the
password to my FTP site, which testers can use for their own
peer-to-peer secure networks for as long as I maintain that site. Note
that the package installs GnuPG 1.0.6 and WinPT 0.5.12a in its own
C:\PRIVARIA\crypto directory. WinPT users will likely have some registry
entries changed to point to the new location, and will need to transfer
their keyrings over to that location. GPG-only users should be able to
leave their existing GPG installations alone and just use PRIVARIA's
distribution of GPG for its internal purposes. You can either copy your
existing public/private keypair to C:\PRIVARIA\crypto or generate a new
keypair just for PRIVARIA.

For more details, please see http://www.privaria.org. I look forward to
your feedback, bug reports, and making secure, peer-to-peer connections
with you via PRIVARIA! And thanks to Werner Koch, Timo Schulz (WinPT),
Neil Winton (Zebedee) and others for providing the important and
valuable crypto tools on which PRIVARIA builds its open-source security
and authentication platform.

P.S. - Help with porting to Linux would be greatly appreciated! TCL is
cross-platform and all the bundled tools come in Linux flavors, so it
should be a reasonably easy project for a volunteer to take on, once I
figure out the mysteries of CVS and get my source committed to CVS on
SourceForge.

\--- http://www.eepatents.com -----------------/