Plagiarism

Douglas F. Calvert douglist@anize.org
Wed May 22 08:56:01 2002

--=-rzDpgmanp21yf88hERxr

On Wed, 2002-05-22 at 00:50, Aurelio Turco wrote:
> First party sends clear text to second party
> or publishes it for the public at large.
> Third party sees the data and claims authorship.
> Plagiarism.
>=20
> Is it possible to protect against
> (third party) plagiarism using gpg alone
> short of having to encrypt the data?
>=20
> Cheers.
> Aurelio.
>=20
> PS: Anyone know how this is usually done?
> Does one register the data with a lawyer
> or a copyright officer or what?

Best advice is to definitly go to a lawyer and ask them. That is why
they go to school. however...

<blatant speculation>

If you really wanted to use GPG you could create a detached signature or
a normal signature, ascii armor it, print it and get it stamped by a
notary. The detached signature is most likely only a good idea if you
don't want the data public. Having a paper document with a signature
included in it stamped by a notary would probably be the best idea.=20

</blatant speculation>

I doubt that this has any enormous legal strength but it might help.

--=20
+ Douglas Calvert  <dfc@anize.org>  http://anize.org/dfc +
|    Key Id 0xC9541FB2  http://anize.org/dfc-keys.asc    |
|   http://imissjerry.org   http://whoownsthisidea.org   |
+-| 0817 30D4 82B6 BB8D 5E66  06F6 B796 073D C954 1FB2 |-+

--=-rzDpgmanp21yf88hERxr

--=-rzDpgmanp21yf88hERxr--