AW: --command-fd

Joerg Toellner toellner@oss-gmbh.de
Mon May 27 10:31:02 2002

Dear Rasoul,

do the following (only a codesnippet) in perl.

--------------------SNIPPET ON-----------------------
my $passphrase = "mylittlesecret";
my $returncode;

open(PASSOUT, "| /usr/bin/gpg --batch --homedir
/usr/lsd/apache-ssl/htdocs/secureDB/PGP/.gnupg --passphrase-fd 0 --edit-key
1193");

print PASSOUT $passphrase;

$returncode = close (PASSOUT);
--------------------SNIPPET OFF-----------------------

(Beware of the linebreak! The open line is ALL on one line! AND NOTICE
 the | (Pipe) character in the open command)

What does it do?
It opens the gpg command with the perl-open-command and connects the stdin
from gpg (fd 0) used as the passphrase-input-pipe with the PERL Filehandle
PASSOUT. When gpg comes to the point that it needs the passphrase it expects
it on its stdin. You use the perl-print-command to fill the PASSOUT
(connected to the stdin from gpg) and so transfer your passphrase to gpg in
the right place where gpg expects it. GPG receives your passphrase and goes
on with his job. After the action, dont forget to close the
PASSOUT-Filehandle.

Thats all. Works for me fine. Hope it helps.

CU
Joerg Toellner