gpg keyservers allowing photos in key-id's

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Wed May 29 02:34:02 2002

On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 04:45:07PM -0700, Leigh S. Jones wrote:
> Most of the keyservers share the key contents among themselves.
> If you add a key or make a change in your keys such as changing
> encryption preferences or adding signatures (including photos and
> other user ID's) then your changes will spread to the others in time.

It does not work this way in the case of photo IDs.  If keyserver A
and B synchronize, and A accepts photo IDs and B does not, then if you
send your key to B, it will remove the photo ID before sending it to
A.

In practical terms, this means that if you want your photo ID to be on
a keyserver, you must send it to a keyserver that supports photo IDs
and let the other keyservers learn it from there.

> If you want to find out if photo ID's are being deleted from keys
> by a given server, see if you can find my photo ID key on the
> server:
>
> 0xF5EEC079

Note that ldap://pgp.surfnet.nl:11370 does support photo IDs, but your
key does not have a photo ID on that server.

David