^M characters are embedded at the end of every record.

Steve Butler sbutler@fchn.com
Wed Nov 6 23:36:01 2002

Sorry Nicolas, ^M does not stand for Microsoft.

Any machine (PET, Apple, etc) that uses the ASCII <CR><LF> sequence as a
end-of-line terminator will exhibit the same behavior if FTP'ed binary mode
to a Unix type box.

-----Original Message-----
From: Nicolas Couture [mailto:nc@stormvault.net]
Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 2:11 PM
To: GnuPG-users@GnuPG.OrG
Subject: Re: ^M characters are embedded at the end of every record.

On Wed, 2002-11-06 at 16:23, Loo, Peter wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I created a text file in Windows environment.  Then it is encrypted and
FTPed to a Unix server where the file is decrypted.  After decryption, I am
seeing ^M characters at the end of each record.  I have tried sending the
file in both ASCII and BINARY modes.  Both modes don't help.  However, if I
send the plain text file via FTP in ASCII mode, the file does not contain
and control characters.  Is there a way to decrypt the file into an output
file without ^M character or is there a way to encrypt the file without ^M?

This is not a GnuPG issue. All files created on notepad or some
microsoft editor are full of ^M. Microsoft it says. The best you could
do it not use windows but if you're addicted to this thing you could
always use an other editor.

--
Nicolas Couture
mailto: nc at stormvault dot net