Key ID - different?

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Thu Nov 7 06:26:02 2002

On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 10:14:05PM +0000, MindFuq wrote:
> * Terry Maltos <terry@scps81.com> [2002-11-06 21:01]:
> > Viewing the same key set on a client's computer, their Key ID has those same
> > 8 characters but they are preceded by 8 more characters (that can also be
> > found in the Fingerprint - the last 16 digits).
> >
> > Has anyone seen this before?
>
> The long version of a keyID is 16 characters, and the short version is
> 8.  Why there is a long and short version is beyond me, but just use
> the last 8 for whatever you do.

There is a short version because that's what everybody got used to
with PGP 2.x.  The long version has always been used internally since
the short version has a much larger chance of "accidentally"
duplicating someone elses keyid.

Jason Harris has a nice list up that shows dozens of duplicated keyids
at http://keyserver.kjsl.com/~jharris/duplicate_keyids.html

David