harddisk encryption with gpg?

Michael H. Warfield mhw@wittsend.com
Fri Nov 8 21:39:02 2002

--24zk1gE8NUlDmwG9

On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 02:08:14PM +0100, Juergen Schlag wrote:
> Hi,

> I am wondering if it is possible to encrypt a harddisk partition
> or a disk image file with gnupg. Or does anybody know a tool for
> mounting an (encrypted) image file as a virtual drive letter
> (with Windows) or as a new mountpoint (with Linux/Unix); something
> like pgpdisk, but platform independed?

	Actually, there is a way you can use GPG to supply loop-AES
(or Crypto-API) with it's password.  The data on disk is encrypted using
the kernel based symtrical encryption stuff (obviously AES for loop-AES)
and you use GPG to store the password (on removable media or a CD or
another partition or something).  I did the writeup that Jari Ruusu
incorporated into his README file.

	Get the latest loop-AES package up at Source Forge
<http://loop-aes.sourceforge.net> and look in the readme file
and see if that will do what you want to accomplish.

	For performance reasons, you really want the symetrical
encryption / decryption going on in the kernel, so it's unlikely
we will ever see GPG wired that deep into system space to do the
job on it's own.  Of course, the counter example to that is the
user space "CFS" (Matt Blazes Cryptographic File System) but some
guys did a tcfs with kernel components to try and work around the
performance problems with CFS.

> Regards,

> Juergen

	Regards,