Can signing subkeys certify keys?

Konrad Podloucky konrad@crunchy-frog.org
Mon Nov 18 21:16:01 2002

--=-lxr0QEwM4BcGyBlgrdx3

On Mon, 2002-11-18 at 20:39, David Shaw wrote:
> [...]
> The OpenPGP standard does not specify a trust model, so you can
> theoretically use a signing subkey for anything you like.  However, as
> a practical matter it is not a good idea.  The web of trust is built
> by signatures from primaries on primaries, so a subkey signature would
> not be usable as part of the web of trust.  Because of this, signing
> subkeys are only permitted to sign data and not other keys.
>=20
> The --with-colons listing is incorrect here, and has been fixed for
> the next release of GnuPG.

Thanks for clearing things up, David. I can understand why primary keys
should be used to issue exportable signatures. However I had hoped that
I at least could use my secondary key for locally certifying keys for
convenience' sake (as I keep my primary on another non-networked
machine). Nevermind, one gets used to swapping floppies I guess :)

Bye,
	Konrad

--=20
"All this marching up and down and cheering and waving flags is=20
 simply sex gone sour."
                        --George Orwell, "Nineteen Eighty-Four"

--=-lxr0QEwM4BcGyBlgrdx3

--=-lxr0QEwM4BcGyBlgrdx3--