Will GPG use Dual Processors under Windows ?

Ryan Malayter rmalayter@bai.org
Tue Nov 19 00:27:02 2002

From: Florian Weimer [mailto:Weimer@CERT.Uni-Stuttgart.DE]=20
>No, it doesn't.  Distributing symmetric encryption/decryption
>across multiple general-purpose CPUs seems complicated to me.

Not too complicated... The Modified CFB used in OpenPGP is inherently
quite pipelined if you look at the pseudocode. It could and could
probably be multithreaded quite easily: One CPU performs the encryption
to produce the CFB stream, the other performs XORs and input/output with
with the data stream. This might not provide balanced processor
utilization, but it is a way to better utilize an SMP machine.=20

Of course, this method may not be at all faster in practice, especially
if I/O is the primary bottleneck.

Ryan Malayter
Sr. Network & Database Administrator
Bank Administration Institute