Personal prefs (was Re: --group questions)

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Wed Nov 20 00:14:02 2002

On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 11:26:29PM +0100, Kai Raven wrote:

> another question: the --personal-cipher/digest/compress-preferences
> option - does this mean, that my preferences are combined with the
> preferences of the keyholder, e. g. i have S10 H3 Z2, the keyholder S7
> H2 Z1, so the last preferences, which are used are S7 S10 H2 H3 Z1 Z2 ?

Not combined, since that could violate the standard by forcing the use
of an algorithm that the recipient is unable to use.  Instead, the
personal lists are used to limit what the keyholder may request.  In
the example you give, the result will be the empty set since there are
no common algorithms chosen.  This will result in
3DES/SHA1/Uncompressed.

An easy way to think about the personal prefs is as an additional
recipient that doesn't actually get the message, but does have
preferences that must be taken into account.

David