compatibility with PGPfreeware 6.5.8

Lionel Elie Mamane lionel@mamane.lu
Wed Nov 20 19:01:02 2002

--ReaqsoxgOBHFXBhH

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 12:47:48PM -0500, Alexandros Papadopoulos wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 November 2002 02:19, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 12:23:11AM -0500, AP wrote:

>>> Encrypted documents I created with GnuPG 1.2 could not be decrypted
>>> with that client on Window$.

>> If your 'options' (or 'gpg.conf') file is sane, and the key you are
>> encrypting to was created by PGP 6.5.8, then it should work.

>> Do you have a 'cipher' line in your gpg.conf? Something like that?

> No, I've made minimal changes to gpg.conf from the default (just the
> keyserver and no-greeting flags) . So, if I enable the pgp6 switch
> in my .conf file, the program will intelligently decide whether to
> use it or not, depending on the nature of the public key used to
> encrypt?

No, that was not what I meant. An option in gpg.conf is _always_
used. Thus, even when encrypting to keys generated by GnuPG, it will
be in effect. I meant that I see no reason why you would need this
option in the circumstances I described: The cipher and compression
preferences mechanism should take care of it.

--=20
Lionel
--ReaqsoxgOBHFXBhH

--ReaqsoxgOBHFXBhH--