MUAs supporting GnuPG FAQ update

David Scribner dscribner@yahoo.com
Fri Oct 4 02:55:03 2002

--- Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder <avbidder@fortytwo.ch>
wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-10-03 at 23:01, David Scribner wrote:
>
> > MUA            OpenPGP  ASCII    How? (N,P,T)
>
> Hmmm. OpenPGP means PGP/MIME, ASCII means Clearsigned, I
> assume. I'd
> change the terminology, as clearsigned is specified in the
> OpenPGP RFC
> iirc.

I sure will, and is good point confirmed by David Shaw as well.
Change has been made. Thanks!

> > Evolution         Y       Y       N
>
> I don't know about other mailers, but I think the list should
> include
> notes if some mailer has issues. Specifically:
>
>  - evolution doesn't properly handle clearsigned messages -
> 80% of the
> time the signature doesn't verify, and sometimes the message
> is not
> recognized as a signature. The deveolpers do *not* intend to
> fix this
> (at least that's when I last looked on the evo mailing list).
>  - in 1.0.x versions, signed messages with attachments very
> often do not
> verify and/or the generated signatures are corrupt. Haven't
> tried the
> 1.1.x versions.

Another good point, but I think keeping up with issues various
MUAs have with supporting GnuPG/PGP properly would be better
left to those lists that specifically deal with that (such as
http://www.bretschneidernet.de/tips/secmua.html and the others
that are mentioned in the FAQ).

However, I'm glad you brought Evolution's possible issues to my
attention. I will look into this further tonight, and if that
client's problems still include mangling the messages in the
1.1.x versions a large percentage of the time I'll just drop it
from the list.

Thanks again!

David

=====
David D. Scribner
IT Consulting & Services
CompTIA Linux+, Network+, A+ Certified
Ph: (817) 461-4018        eFax: (630) 214-7769
dscribner_at_bigfoot.com  http://www.bigfoot.com/~dscribner/
GnuPG/PGP: 3172 7408 58CA D9C2 F697  950F 9DDC 7AC7 91EC 5F06