Biometric passphrase

David Picón Álvarez eleuteri@myrealbox.com
Sat Oct 12 14:28:02 2002

--oO2gz1fZ.5XiMkIG0nnxfhpcRy8C.PaU

Hi,

> Do you have any experience with implementing biometric into gpg as
passphrase. I mean to give user's biometric data from (for example
fingerprint) scanner as passphrase during key generation and use it when she
want to sign or decrypt something???

> Advantages:
> -Maybe the passphrase would be more random(???)
> -Even she won't know the passphrase
>
> Disadvanteges:
> -Maybe the passphrases would be in a predetermined format (according to
the biometric algorithm)
> -she will allways need a scanner to sign or decrypt
> -she can loose her finger or iris ;--))
>
> what do you think??

Biometry is apt for certain things, but it's not good as a passphrase. The
ideal passphrase is both unique and secret. Biometric data are unique, but
not secret. Moreover, if you're going to encrypt a pgp key with biometric
data, make sure the data does not change at all, because exactness is
required, which points at biometry not being the right solution. If you're
just thinking of consulting the biometric device each time user wants to
sign or decrypt and have the key unencrypted or not encrypt the key with the
biometric data, then it's a completely different issue. If you  don't
encrypt the key, then it's vulnerable. If you do, then the biometry is just
a further annoying bump on the way, like a UNIX login prompt.

--David.