Purpose of --s2k-cipher-algo switch

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Thu Oct 17 19:27:03 2002

On Thu, 17 Oct 2002 09:05:24 +0000, MindFuq  said:

> I'm suspecting that the developers meant something different.
> Generally the accepted terminology in crypto is as follows:

In OpenPGP parlance (rfc2440) a secret key is meant as a private key.
There is even another reason to speak about a secret key :

  private key - public key    secret key - public key
  prvkey      - pubkey        seckey     - pubkey
  pk          - pk :-(        sk         - pk

Guess where you make more error when writing or reviewing code.  The
fist goal is to keep a secret secret and thus I prefer to use "secret"
instead of "private".

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner